Sunday, October 10, 2010

Table decorations

I started out with a vision. I went to DI and bought a vase that I wanted to put black glittery skulls in for Halloween.  I had no idea where to find black glittery skulls, but I really wanted them to be cheap.  After talking to my wonderful friend Debbie I decided to go to the dollar store to see what I could see.  I found this really attractive (sarcasm) Styrofoam skull garland.  I bought three.  I took them home, pulled all the skulls off the twine, painted them black, painted them with silver glitter paint and assembled my table decoration.
I'm seriously just putting a comment here so you can't blow up this picture and see my incredibly dirty counter in the background.


A little moss went at the bottom of the hurricane to give it some filler and I cut a piece of the twine from the garland to tie around the vase.  I picked up some cheese cloth from walmart and died it black-ish with my black acrylic paint and some water (saw it on another crafty blog) and laid it out to dry.  I picked up the figurines at the dollar store too and I set it all up.  SUPER EASY! 

Don't judge me and my empty spice rack.  

I obviously thought my vase was bigger than it is because I had about a bazillion glitter skulls left over, so I made a door hanging.  I put the skulls back on the twine and made them look how I wanted.  The hardest part of this whole project was getting those dang skulls back on the twine.  If you do this project I have lots of tips for you, so just ask. 

I STILL HAD SKULLS LEFT OVER!  I was trying to think of something to do with the three skulls I had left over.  I know I only payed three bucks for this garland, but I seriously hate to throw things away that I just bought.  So after considering decorating my son's birthday cake with them and deciding that was a huge fire hazard I opted to take the skulls and left over twine and make a nob hanging to hang on the inside of my front door. 

My door got egged forever ago and it is stuck to the door.  Gross, but I think it adds to the Halloween idea.  Yay!

Don't mind my ghetto door.  We rent so we have no control over the ghettoness or perma-dirty door.  Ahh!  I can't wait to move!


Now my three dollar garland is mostly used.  (I still have a little piece of twine that I don't know what to do with)  I have lots of other Halloween decorating Ideas I want to do, so hopefully I find the time to do them and you will see them too. - Jessica

5 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! I love all these skulls!!! What's even more awesome is I can sense your humor in this one. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the skulls birthday cake would have been funny... but definitely a fire hazard. But think about flaming black glitter skulls on his cake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flaming black glitter skulls would be awesome, but I would prefer he live past age 3. Good idea?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm judging both you and your empty spice rack. (:

    ReplyDelete