Monday, September 20, 2010

The dresser that started it all

I bought the ugliest dresser at DI yesterday morning.  I originally went there looking for a shelf to put my cook books on, but upon looking for a shelf I discovered that all of them were tiny.  By shelf I mean something that can hang on the wall.  Cupboard space in my kitchen is limited and I had this whole cupboard dedicated to cook books, so in order to free up some space I decided to put them on a hanging shelf above my kitchen table.  Anyway now that you know what the plan was and that it didn't work out according to plan I will show and tell you how it did work out.  And it TOTALLY worked out.  Sometimes what actually happens is way better than what you had planned.


I wish I would have taken a before picture of this dresser, but I didn't.  Just imagine the ugliest dresser you have ever seen and multiply that by $10 because that's how much this dresser cost.  It had some screws drilled into the top and the drawers were all falling off and one track was broken and one drawer was broken.  Then $15 later I created this...

The best part about the dresser is that we had the perfect little, and I mean little, spot in our bedroom to put it.  Please disregard the crap in the background.
The whole reason I got the dresser was because I wanted to use these crates as shelves for our cookbooks.  I realized I could shuffle things around in my house while I was perusing DI.
And since I had some left over paint I was able to finally paint this rocking chair I got at the baby shower for my first child.  She's four now.  Can we say procrastinator?

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog!!! So cute. Who did the layout?..Was it you? Cause I sure like it. You are going to love blogging. It may consume your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Andrew found the layout online. I'm not great with layouts. I have a vision and someday, like five years from now, my husband will have time to execute it. Or maybe before then I'll pay someone to do it, but that seems sort of against what I stand for. haha

    ReplyDelete