Thursday, August 4, 2011

Bye Bye Wallpaper

Surprisingly I am not a wallpaper hater.  I am actually a wallpaper convert.  I LOVE awesome wallpaper like this wallpaper from Design your wall.


But who can afford it at $65 a roll?


This is why I would recommend stenciling.  There are so many fabulous stencils everywhere now days. 

Weather you like the look of wallpaper or not, don't ever do this anywhere in your house.  It doesn't look good.  


So if you have this wallpaper in your family room go take it down right now.  It's not that hard.  I'll even show you how to do it.

Step 1: Get a scorer and score the heck out of your wall paper.  Scorers are found in the paint section of Home Depot and range from $8-9.  The $9 ones have a scraper attached.  I already had a scraper and I borrowed a scorer from an awesome friend.

You just rub this little thing around on the wallpaper.
Then it will look like this. (Click on this picture to see more detail.)

Step 2:  Spray your wallpaper with hot water.  If you're doing a bigger space you may want to use an equal parts solution of fabric softener and hot water.


After filling up my water bottle with hot water and trying to spray my wallpaper I quickly realized it was broken, so I fashioned this wonderful ghettoness.  It didn't last long either though, so I grabbed my favorite Tinkerbell wash cloth and used that to get the wallpaper wet.




Step 3: Let the water soak in
Step 4: Scrape it off.


Once you get it started you should just be able to peel it off.








There you have it.  No more wallpaper.  If you have a little bit of wallpaper that didn't come off on the first try just put a little water on it and let it sit for a minute and it should come right off.  Now we have a bunch more work to do on the bathroom.  Including cleaning it.  Now go tackle your tacky wallpaper.

4 comments:

  1. I bet you would just LOVE the ivy wallpaper in my dining room. :) Thanks for the tip, I hadn't realized how easy it would be to get off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, it is so easy and so satisfying. My bathroom looks so much better. Now I need to choose a paint color. This is not so easy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you have against hydrangea wall paper trim Jessica?

    ReplyDelete